Well as it turns out, you can't say you're thinkin about doing chickens without someone takin you seriously around these here parts... haha! So instead of waiting until next year we are now the caretakers of 6 hens and a very handsome rooster!
The boys couldn't be more excited, and Mama can't lie it sure is fun to "Mother" something other than boys for a change! haha
We sure hope the little flock enjoys their new home as much as we've enjoyed them the past couple of days... Egg production hasn't stopped, which we were told might happen after being relocated, but I'm happy to report the girls have laid 4 eggs consistently the past couple of days... which tells me they must be adjusting just fine. So here's a bit of the past week!
The sun is out... it must mean its summer (according to a 4 year old) Notice how Ben is dressed? Haha sound like someone you know mom?
Checking out our new Chicken Area
Amazing what you might find when you start diggin around... We found all the T posts needed for our run right on the property! Score! Along with a roll of fencing from a friend... the whole project pretty much FREE...
Helping the big boys...
Sorry I always have to add something girly...
A super yummy crock pot dinner from Fresh is the Taste
Our first soccer game of Spring... Gosh it was sure chilly out! Ben was so happy Grandpa stopped by so he could practice his ball skills...
Hey no hands in soccer buddy!
Cheeese!
At least someones workin in that garden!
The boys enjoyin the new "man chair" Thank you Thank you McFarlands for the
hand-me-down...we love it! Obviously! :)
The chicken run being assembled!
I felt so bad, Jeromy did most of the hard labor... something I used to help with, but with a hernia in my esophagus, strenuous activity is kind of a no go... sorry hubby! I'll happily cheer you on as you muscle the fencing around...
They have arrived...
Now to figure out how to get their coop off the back of the truck..
Thankfully the chickens previous owners came to give us a hand...
Love at first sight! Well I can't speak for the chickens.... only Ben!
Oh something girly again... sorry maybe I'm a little a.d.d. haha
So cute... they were just antsy to open that cage! I was too..
Our handsome rooster... proudly named RUDY (Colten originally wanted to name him Peatree (from the Land before Time movie)... but we convinced him that it just wasn't manly enough for our Rooster so he chose Rudy which was the dinosaurs name in
Ice Age 2)
So we've got Milli the little black and gold one and since our Rhode Island Reds all look very simular we're calling them the 3 Bettys
Rudy and his girls...
We let Colten name the weird white hen Peatree (it suits her...)
Ok so some sort of sewing project going on here.... you'll never guess what I was making..... never in a million years would I have thought I'd be makin it either...
It's called a Hen Saver... Google it, I'm not making things up! So these Hens were living with 3 roosters before they came to us... and if you can imagine these three roosters were puttin a hurtin on these girls, well the two little hens have horrible patches of exposed skin, so after doing some reading I found that you can buy these... well I thought I'd try making one... it fit her perfectly however I found her pulling out her own feathers trying to get it off after a few minutes... and I just didn't want to cause any more harm so I took it off... and I must say down sizing to one rooster has really seamed to help this issue... Rudy doesn't need to prove his manliness any more, so I hope the girls will heal in their own time.
One of the Bettys
"The bad boys" that's what Colten named them... they were on the outside of the run for the day so the girls could have a break! Glad they found a new home! :)
This one is just the best... haha! Ben LOVES them!! He goes down every morning with me to let them out and I practically have to drag him out when it's time to go back to the house, even when its around 35 degrees out!
I'm feel so very blessed to have this experience for the boys...
We sure are in for an adventure...
While walking back the house after getting the mail last night we noticed an enormous Eagle soaring over head... Jeromy and I panicked... My heart literally stopped in my chest... we watched as the eagle swooped down right into our run!!!! I told Jeromy to go and he left me with the kids... THANKFULLY no chickens were snatched up... so now we have immediate need to cover our run!
What have we gotten ourselves into... Chickens only have about 2 dozen predators that live in the valley here! Oh man! Wish us luck!
Cluck Cluck! or as Ben would say "Dooo a Dooo a Do"
And yes I get my morning wake up call at 5am.... Thank you Rudy!



























LOVE this! Chickens are SO much fun. Excited for you guys. :)
ReplyDelete