Saturday, April 28, 2012

Oh for the love of Dinner Inspiration...

A very dear friend of mine (Love you by the way)  has for the past couple of years given me the coolest gift for Christmas... A subscription to "Everyday Food" Magazine.  It really is chaulked full of wonderfully simple meals that are just my style.  I sometimes just need a little spark of inspiration to get me rollin in the right direction...

That begin said I'd love to share a super fun and delish lunch/dinner idea
I will give much credit to "Everyday Food" for the inspiration but I made some of my own changes to make it more sutable to what I had and what we like. 


Shredded Chicken w/ Cucumber Green Apple Slaw

Ingredients

2lbs Shredded Chicken (will share an awesome tip for this below)

1 Granny Smith Apple - Cut into matchsticks

1 English Cucumber - Cut into matchsticks

2 Scallions (green part only) Thinly sliced

1/4 Cup Mayo

3 Tablespoons Dijon Mustard

2  Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar

1/4 Cup Honey

Sea Salt and Fresh Ground Pepper (and yes there is a huge difference if its Fresh)

Whole Wheat Hamburger Buns

I used a package of boneless skinless chicken breasts about 2lbs it may have been more as it was 3 breasts.  I boiled them on the stove for about 25 minutes.  Then ready for the coolest, time saving, mind blowing "Pin" I've ever found on Pinterest?... Stick those fully cooked breasts into your Kitchen Aid mixer with the paddle attachment and turn that baby on and in about a minute and a half you will have a bowl full of beautifully shredded chicken.  AMAZING! 

So next sir together your apple and cucumber matchsticks, mayo and scallions in a bowl set aside.

In a large skillet, heat checken, mustard, vinegar, honey and 1/4 cup of water, over med-high, toss together until all is heated. 

Season with sea salt and fresh ground pepper (oh my I'm new to fresh ground pepper in my kitchen and I must say it is sooooo yummy and sooo much flavorful than regular ground pepper)

Now spread mixture on whole wheat burger buns and top with your apple cucumber slaw!

Soooo yummy, pretty quick and the super fab on a warm summer evening in the backyard.  Pair it with a tall glass of homemade sun tea and a handful of kettle chips and you've got the perfect summer meal.

YUM!

Oh and I didn't know how it would turn out or I would have totally done the proper foodie blog step by step pictures with my super lame camera, sorry.  It was just one of those nights, baby wailing because I wasn't refilling his spoon with pureed green beans fast enough, hubby working late, 3 year old begging to eat a PB&J for dinner because what I was making looked "icky"... you know just one of "those nights"   I will at least get a finished meal shot next time... ok I'll try :)


1 comment:

  1. Oh my! Yumm! Gotta love those fast meals, too. :)
    I keep forgetting that Pinterest trick.... sounds so much better than scalding my fingers trying to shred hot chicken. :/ Must remember next time.

    ReplyDelete