Saturday, April 28, 2012

What a foodie kind of day...

So my day began and ended with quite the array of deliciously beautiful food. 

Breakfast made by my wonderful hubby consisted of scrambled eggs with sauteed red bell peppers, artichoke hearts, onions, and garlic topped with a chicken garlic cream sauce.  It was out of this world!  Don't know where he comes up with some of this stuff but sometimes he can really knock my socks off with his totally unpredictable concoctions.


Lunch I must share with you as it will probably be a regular quickie meal in our home now...  Thank you again "Everyday Food"

Thanks to a recent trip to Trader Joes (Hands down, my fav place to shop these days) I had what I needed for both lunch and dinner recipes I'm sharing.

Tortellini Soup w/ Peas and Spinach

7 Cups Chicken Broth (I use Better than bouillon- its amazing and delish you can buy it at Costco)

15oz Fresh Cheese Tortellini

1 Cup of Frozen Peas (I used 2 cups just cuz)

2 Ounces of Baby Spinach Chopped (2 cups)

Sea Salt and Fresh Cracked Pepper

Grated Parmesan (referred to as Perry Mason in our house)

Lemon Wedges for serving - (I did a splash of lemon juice instead)

In a medium pot, bring broth to a boil on high.  Add tortellini and cook 2 min less than package instructions.  Add peas and spinach and cook until warmed through.  Season with Salt and Pepper.  Serve with "Perry Mason" and lemon wedges.

It was soooo good!  The hubby isn't a soup lover and he scarfed it down.  By far the easiest soup I've ever made.  Pair with some Sourdough Baguette bread from Trader Joes and waalaa a gorgeous meal in less than a half hour!


Ok so now on to dinner...

So some inspiration came from "Everyday Food" but really just the idea of Pizza because mine was nothing like the one on page 76. 

We'll call it...

Bacon, Spinach, Garlic Chicken Pizza 

Whole Wheat Pizza Dough (Thanks to Trader Joes, I didn't even have to make this... for a $1 and some change you get a little bag of dough, no fuss no muss!)

1 8oz Package Neufchâtel Cheese (The low fat version of Cream Cheese) Warmed so that its spreadable

4 cups of Shredded Mozzarella Cheese

5 pieces of uncured bacon

3 Cups Baby Spinach

5 Cloves of Garlic

2 Cups Shredded Chicken

2 Tablespoons of Italian Seasoning

2 Tablespoons of Nutritional Yeast

Cook bacon and chop into small pieces.

Following my dough instructions... I removed the dough from the bag and let it rest for 20 minutes on a floured surface.  Then rolled it out and placed it on a large cookie sheet (but you could use a pizza stone too)  Spread warmed Neufchâtel on dough (this will be used instead of traditional pizza sauce)  Add Mozzarella cheese, spinach, bacon pieces, garlic, and chicken.   Sprinkle Italian seasoning and nutritional yeast on top and cook in a 400 degree oven for about 20min (check half way through- as some ovens are more efficient that mine)

Most all my homemade pizzas include Neufchâtel cheese instead of red sauce... it's just sooo yummy.

Enjoy..




No comments:

Post a Comment